Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day:)

Now that spring break is over.....a week isn't very long now is it???.....we are back into our routine.  I've been trying to finish up some things.....We finished off the other half of a pail of salted Naval Beef for an easy meal of Jigg's Dinner (which coincidentaly is a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal on the east coast) , and I've been working on a little crochet project and a bit of a baking experiment as well.  Note....if you want to have a go at making a Jigg's Dinner...you must use salted beef, not corned beef or it won't be quite right.  At All Recipes they have modified the recipe and substituted corned beef  (for some reason) which would not require the soaking over night. 
So here is my end result of a little spring coaster swap I've been working on.  The pattern is available for free on Ravelry and, it turns out to be a truncated version of this pot holder pattern so I was familiar with it.  It was super easy and a quick make!
I've also been working on a recipe for a sweet bread with apricots, currants, and sultanas that I had at Cobs Bakery while down in Victoria. Cobs is a branch of the Australia and New Zealand's Baker's Delight.  My first try had nowhere near enough fruit in it so today will be attempt #2....I'll let you know how it goes.  Batch #1 was tasty enough, although I think I will add an additional rise to make the crumb a bit more fine, and triple the amount of fruit in it.  Well, I'm off to do some more baking....What are you up to today??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am drooling over the bread. I just made a pot of lentils and I think they'd go perfect together.

Alison said...

Really, Cob's Bakery is affiliated with Baker's Delight?! Did not know that - no wonder I like Baker's Delight here ('cuz I really loved Cob's!) Bread looks delicious!! : )

LittleRed said...

Hi Felicity! Mmmm a pot of lentils....I think they really would be good together!
Hi Alison:) I just figured out their connection when I was googling to find a recipe for Apricot Delight and noticed the header on both sites was the same.

Yarni Gras! said...

cute coasters! I love the edge......

LittleRed said...

Thanks! I thought they were kinda cute too!

Lori said...

Very cute. I had not heard of jiggs before.

I am curious to see what is in your bread. Sounds really yummy.

LittleRed said...

Hi Lori! Thanks, I was hoping the coasters would look springish:) Jigg's Dinner is very common on the East Coast of Canada, and I'm not certain in which province it originated, as I've heard people from different east coast provinces claim it. It is similar to a New England boiled dinner except that it uses salted beef which I think turns out much much much more tender. It would very commonly be their Sunday supper and is commonly served along side a roast turkey for a really big deal meal like Christmas.