Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Air Buns With Dinner

Cool spring weather lends itself well to nice warm bowls of soup........and what better to go with.....than some nice homemade buns. I remember someone giving my gramma the recipe for some beautiful soft buns when I was little.  They were so light and soft...they were called air buns.  Rather than go searching for the recipe, I did a quick little online search and came up with a recipe to try for air buns. I found quite a few recipes and they all seemed to be pretty much the same.  I liked this one since the quantity was small (16 buns) and it was sized properly for using the bread machine.  The buns turned out as I remembered them and I would most definitely make them again.  I should have taken a picture straight out of the oven, but I was not quick enough and now the last one is a sandwich for my lunch.  Last night it was Hamburger Soup ( with the addition of 1/4 head of cabbage....because I like that addition) and buns for dinner.  Not fancy, but delicious none the less.
Air Buns (For the bread Machine)
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup lard or shortening, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast
Add all ingredients into bread machine pan in the order listed.  Choose dough cycle.  Remove dough, punch down and form into dinner rolls.  15 fit nicely in an oblong pan. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour then bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes until tops are golden and bottoms sound hollow when knocked.  If you'd like to see the instructions for making these by hand rather than using the bread machine....look here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, those look good. : )

bee said...

hi little red,
These buns look great, I am very hungry now, its breakfast time for me. I shall try out in my bread making machine. bee x

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really do look good. I found your blog by chance but I'm so glad I did. You've got some really nice recipes here. I'll be back often to see what else you've been making. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

LittleRed said...

Thanks for stopping by:) I hope they turn out well if you give them a try.....I need to make another batch now...they are all gone:(

bren said...

I use this receipe for everything! Bread, buns, cinnamon buns. It is by far the tastiest and lightest I have tried. Thank you so much for posting it!

LittleRed said...

Thanks for stopping by! I like them too....and now I must make some:)