Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Month of Cookies- Potato Chip Cookies-12

Here is a recipe that I have not made in many years....since before I met my DH as he had never heard of them.  They are pictured above on the left along side the last roll of Mexican Chocolate slice cookies.  I actually had to call my mom to get the recipe.....it's from an old Church cookbook and I knew that mom would be able to find her copy quicker than I could find mine.  Moms are dependable that way.  It was right where I remembered it to be in the cookie section and was pretty straight forward.  I have omitted the nuts so there won't be any problems sending them into school tomorrow.  This is a good recipe to have on hand that uses up egg yolks.  These cookies are a little different with some salt and some sweet notes and are generally well liked by kids and adults.....very few of either have been able to guess the secret ingredient.

Potato Chip Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup crushed potato chips (I have always used plain ripple)
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add in egg yolk and vanilla and mix.  Stir in flour and crushed chips and nuts.  Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and press with fork to flatten slightly.  Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.  After a few minutes remove to cooling racks.

1 comment:

heather said...

These are so interesting! I'm partial to toasted almond (or other toasted nut cookies) and can't picture myself baking papas fritas cookies... but i'm intrigued!