Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Month of Cookies- Mincemeat Cookies-6

Another great soft cookie that really surprised me.  With the large amount of mincemeat that I canned up this year......I began thinking about ways in which to use it up other that tarts.  This recipe came to mind and I am happy to say I gave it a try.  Soft cakey cookies have never been my favourites.....but as my list of soft cookies that I like increases........I may have to change my way of thinking:) This cookie is moist and cakey and has a nice depth of spice flavouring.  These cookies get two thumbs up from Ike too, who has eaten more than enough to form an opinion.  Give this one a try if you  have some mincemeat to use up.

Mincemeat Cookies

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg
2 cups mincemeat
3 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and mincemeat and stir to combine.  Sift dry together and stir in to dough.  Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes, until the cookies begin to show golden around the edges.  Fresh from the oven they have a bit of a crisp exterior, but this will soften as they sit together in the cookie jar.

1 comment:

Richard LeBlanc said...

Very tasty cookies. The baking time was really off. I needed about 18 minutes to bake the cookies. Perhaps it was because I made 18 cookies instead of 3 dozens.

The recipe could do without so much sugar. I removed about a quarter of the sugar and it was still too sweat for my taste.