Friday, October 1, 2010

A Month of Cookies - Dutch Icebox Cookies-1


This will be an abmitious effort me.......One cookie recipe each day for a month.  I'm pretty sure I don't have 30 cookie recipes that I routinely make so this will be an opportunity to try some new ones and maybe find a few new favourites.  Let's just see how far I get.  To start out with, I decided to try something new.  This recipe has been sitting in my binder for several years now and was at one time taken from the internet, but at this point I'm not sure where from.  Doesn't the name 'Icebox' cookie sound old fashioned....in a gramma's kitchen, vintagey cool way???  I promised Ike some new cookies the other day and these are them!  The recipe was very easy, quick, and I like the fact that you can be all Martha and have this dough waiting in the fridge or freezer waiting and ready to go.  Don't I feel all prepared now!  I also like how uniform each cookie looks.  Perfectly presentable and perfect for gifting.......I have it on good authority that consumables and food items make a suitable teachers gift.  After this batch, I am eager to try another 'Icebox' cookie recipe.  These are mildly spicy and you can bake them a little longer to have them crisp all the way through or bake them just until browning at the edges to have a soft center.

Dutch Spice Icebox Cookies
1 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1/4 chopped nuts, optional

Method
Cream the butter and sugar until creamy, then add sour cream and mix until incorporated.  Mix in spices and finally mix in all flour.  Add nuts if desired. Divided dough in half and form each half into a log about 3 inches  in diameter and about a foot long.  Place on waxed paper and roll up in the waxed paper sealing the ends and place in refrigerator long enough for the dough to firm up....or overnight.  When ready to bake...preheat oven to 375F....slice dough into 1/4 inch thick rounds and bake 7-10 minutes watching and removing the cookies when they begin to brown at the edges.  For a more crisp cookie.....slice a bit thinner and bake until browned a bit more.  Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.  Rolls of dough can be frozen until needed.....and then you'll look just like Martha, won't you?

2 comments:

Melanie Giant said...

That is a unique one. A rolled cookies instead of circle flattened cookies. I will try this one while my kids are in their school sow hen they come back they have crispy Dutch cookies for snack!

Mel First said...

Yummy is all I can say! I will surely try this one when I already got the ingredients. My kids will be surprised for the simple recipe of yours.