Friday, August 13, 2010

What do You do with your Green Tomatoes??

I love that we get all four seasons here.....I really do.  It's even hard for me to pick which season I enjoy the most....because they each offer something special to enjoy.  I love winter for it's crisp fresh snow, warm fires, knitted sweaters and of course the fact that Christmas falls right in the middle of it is just the icing on the cake for me.  I'll agree that once Christmas is over....somewhere around the end of January.....I can get a little anxious about spring.  What's not to love about spring???  All those pretty spring bulbs and puddles to play in......and then comes summer with (hopefully) beautiful,warm long days and all the good things that grow in the summer.  Summer is nearing it's end here and it is perhaps my favourite part now.  All the things that I have patiently waited for have grown and some are even ready to be picked!  Yeah!  It's canning season:)  I absolutely love canning season.........I know....I know....everybody loves canning season right:)  I can see out my front door that the dill I planted is ready.......so I'm hoping pretty hard....that the pickling cucumbers are ready in the store for me to go and buy, so I can can up enough pickles to get me through the next year.......'cause I love me some pickles.  And this year I want to make some salt water dills as well as my usual vinegared pickle recipe.  After two weeks of eating mom's salt water dills at home, I think I'm going to need some here too!  You just cannot buy that kind in the store.......and they are dead easy!  Hmmmm I think I'll get Ike to make them......that's how easy they are.  More on that in a few days!
While up at my parents camp, (which also has it's own little gardens) we were watching the abundance of green tomatoes developing.  I do love fried green tomatoes...yes I surely do......But I've also always wanted to try making a Green Tomato Pie!  (Ever since I read about it in a Laura Ingalls Wilder book when I as little).......It seems that 'pa' could not tell that it wasn't an apple pie......sounded good to me.  Since we had the pizza oven all heated up......no point in wasting all that heating!  So I gathered five nice sized and brilliantly green tomatoes from the tomato plants outside grampa's workshop and set off to try a recipe.  Pie was out of the question since we had no lard in the cupboard........but how about an apple crisp???   We did have nearly all the ingredients needed.....with the exception of the nutmeg.....but we just substituted with more cinnamon.......we were at camp after all.  Undaunted by the sceptical looks from my family, I forged ahead.  It got the thumbs up from everyone in the end (and some of them still think it was apple crisp).  So if you have a huge crop of green tomatoes.........go make some green tomato crisp....you probably have everything else you need already.   I think you could pretty much use them as an apple substitute in lots of different recipes.....as long as they contain some spices to flavour them......What would you try?
Green Tomato Crisp
(Recipe adapted from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook)

4 large or 5 medium firm green tomatoes, chopped (about 4 cups)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg









Print these coupons...
















About Concordance™




  1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
  2. Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
  3. Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and tomatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments: