Saturday, July 31, 2010

Look Who's Knitting Sox

We have had lots of fun things scheduled for Ike for the holidays this year.  After all you are only young once....aren't you??  After out 2 week road trip down the west coast of the US....we are now back in Eastern Canada (Northern Ontario actually) visiting with my parents for a (hopefully) relaxing 2 weeks.  Ike has already been to the park to feed the ducks and has been chopping at the bit to get out to 'the cottage' (we call them camps here in Northern Ontario but I find most people elsewhere don't and have no idea what I'm talking about.....so cottage it is....I feel so pretentious....really....it's a camp:)  There are big plans for lots of fishing, some kayaking and hopefully some sailing......and of course the best part of being "at camp"...the food.  I cannot wait to try out the new pizza oven and hopefully some more bannock as well....YEAH:)  The pizza dough is finished and waiting in the fridge and as soon as Uncle Patrick gets home from work....we are on our way.  It is a 2 1/2 hour drive north of here and it is always interesting to see what new decorative work mum will have done up there.....Now it appears that the painting of the base of the pizza oven is in order...there were paint chips and plenty of discussion over what colour worked best.  I have a feeling I'll be doing some painting:) 
I've packed along a little project ot keep me out of trouble while there...I'm knitting my first pair of socks.I have had these on my to do list for quite some time now.  I have knit lots of these knit and felt socks which are a very good project to use as an introduction to sock knitting. (since the felting process is so forgiving)   But I did want to try my hand at socks where you can actually see the stitiches.  While in the US I picked up some inexpensive sock yarn.  It was on sale 1/2 price so I picked up two balls and it's a good thing as when I more carefully read the instructions....I'm going to need both. Also a good thing I brought both along as I am using the free pattern on the back of the lable and I accidentally left one copy behind on the plane.  OOOPS...As it turns out I could just print a new one off from here....which turned out to be handy as there was a small typo on the lable pattern anyway.  I am hoping that I will actually finish these.  I am simply amazed that people used to make these for their family.....the stitches are so small!  In any event....I turned the heel so I think I'm past the most difficult part now and I'll be bringing along my knitting answer book just in case.  If I finish these.....I may even frog the first pair I started and try them again.....after I find a fifth needle!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'd love to try making socks, maybe this Fall.