Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kefir Angel Biscuits

I have been at a bit of a loss deciding on meals for supper these last few weeks.......and most days......making my decision at the last minutes.  Yesterday.....we had a stew that my DH loves.....a beef, beer and onion stew.  It was delicious.....one of our favourites now.  Along with it I decided to try another recipe from the Company's Coming cookbook for 'Muffins and More'.  Angel Biscuits have a small amount of yeast in them which made for a nice light biscuit which I really liked.......even the next morning with tea:)  I chose to try this recipe as it was another opportunity for me to use up more milk kefir as a straight substitute for buttermilk.

Angel Biscuits
1 pkg dry active yeast
1/4 cup warm water

5 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cold
2 cups buttermilk (I used milk kefir)

Combine the yeast and warm water and set aside to dissolve for 10 minutes.  Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and butter into a large bowl.  Cut in the butter until crumbly.  Stir in the yeast and buttermilk.  Knead just enough to make a dough that holds together.  Roll on floured surface 3/4 inch (2cm) thick.  Cut out with cutters.  Bake on ungreased sheets in 400F oven for 15 minutes.  Makes 2 1/2 dozen biscuits.
To Turn these into a more savory biscuit, Add 1 cup grated cheddar, 3 Tbsp chopped onion green, and 4 oz (125g) finely chopped ham into the dry ingredients after cutting in the butter and proceed as normal.

2 comments:

Merry said...

These look yummy! Great minds must think alike because I posted about biscuits today too!

LittleRed said...

I see your biscuits look beautiful too!