Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike's Easy Lemonade & Cookies

Yesterday was the third year that my son has run a lemonade stand at our friends house. Each year this friend and his neighbours have a fall community garage sale involving as many homes as want to take part. Since this friend does not have the clutter issue that I have in my house, he asks friends to bring things over to his house to sell in his garage sale. This is the third year that my "junk" has taken over his yard and my son takes the opportunity to sell some lemonade and homemade cookies. It always amazes me how excited he gets over running a lemonade stand. His obsession this year has been to raise enough money to purchase himself a new DS game. Happily for him, he did manage to raise enough and he had a great time shopping for himself today. We (mostly I) made two kinds of cookies for the sale. His prize winning Peanut Butter Chocolate Chippers, and for those with peanut allergies.....Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. The photo above shows both kinds. The cookie on the top is the Chocolate Chip, and the others below are of the Peanut Buttery variety. Below is the recipe for the Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies since I have already given the recipe for the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip ones here.


Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 F. Cream butter and sugar, add molasses, egg, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Stir in well. Mix in flour and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoon full. Bake for 7-8 minutes or just long enough to see a bit of browning around the edges. Let sit a few minutes on the cookies sheet before removing to cooling racks. These cookies keep well for 3-5 days in a well sealed cookie tin. The recipe is east to double. To make Chocolate, Chocolate chip cookies, add 1/3 cup cocoa powder and decrease the flour by 1/4 cup. You can try this with white chocolate chips for more contrast.
I think I'm going to go have a cookie now:0 Good Night!

3 comments:

Gecko said...

This recipe looks great...I love chocolate chip cookies! =)

LittleRed said...

Hope you have time to give it a try, it's my favourite chocolate chip recipe:)

Gecko said...

Oh yummo! Finally, a cookie recipe I can make that doesn't have gluten in it(I always use gluten free flour anyhow)!

Adding this one to the list of things to try!