Saturday, May 10, 2014

Kakabeka Legion Potato Salad

Finally all the snow is gone and we can sit out on the deck for supper.  While my husband and I are cutting back on the carbs......I sit make a starch choice for my son.  This day, I had a taste for one of my favourite potato salads that I remember from growing up.  I'm not a huge fan of potato salad, but there are two types I really like.  I love the mashed potato salad made at the Kakabeka Legion Hall (near where I grew up)...it's slightly sweetened by green relish and slightly tangy......and I also love a potato salad recipe from the Ukraine containing dill pickles and green peas....much more mild in flavour in comparison.  The recipe used for this supper was from the Kakabeka Legion, from just outside of Thunder Bay.  I love this one, and you may too:)  I scaled the recipe down a whole bunch as the thought was that only my son would be eating it.....but truth be told.....he had a little help.

Kakabeka Legion Potato Salad

8 large potatos
8 boiled eggs
1/4 cup salad dressing (miracle whip)...more as needed
1/2 cup green relish
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
4-5 green onions, chopped
1 stick of celery, minced
1 medium onion, minced
ground black pepper to taste

Start by washing, peeling and boiling potatoes in lightly salted water until fork tender.  You are going to mash them slightly so you need not worry about catching them at barely fork tender.  Once cooked and cooled a bit, mash slightly so as to leave the odd piece still in tact here and there.  Chop up your boiled eggs about a 1/4 inch in size and add them along with all remaining ingredients to the potatoes and stir to mix well.  The mustard should give a slight yellow colour over all but should not be prominent, add more if needed just make sure you don't get over run with the taste of mustard.  The miracle whip may be increased if it seems too dry, and the sweetness may be adjusted by increasing the amount of green relish.  All in all it's a very adjustable to suit your taste.

No comments: