Friday, May 9, 2014

Chinese Pork Roast in a pressure cooker

So I planned to make this roast for supper last night....but at 5:45 when the DH walked through the door....he reminded me that I'd forgotten about scouts that night and there would not be time for making a roast....We had to leave at 6:45.  
Well...I can tell you now....that there would have been time....just barely:)  I've been looking for more and more recipes to try on this new pressure cooker........and I chanced upon a link to the Jaimie Oliver Cookbook that comes with the TFal pressure cooker he is promoting.  I flipped through and found that the recipe for Chinese Pork Shoulder Roast caught my eye.  It was quite flavouful, although I did make a few substitutions based on what I had on hand, and would make it again for sure!  Just in case I can never find the recipe again or the link becomes inactive....here is what I did...

Chinese Pork Shoulder.....in the Pressure Cooker

3 1/2 lb pork shoulder roast
1 1/2 Tbsp five spice power ( to rub dry onto roast before browning)
2 Tbsp oil for browning roast

200mL orange juice (one kids juice box...sounds like the juice of two oranges??  close enough)
zest of 1 orange 
1 tsp scotch bonnet pepper sauce (I didn't have 2 red chillies...close enough)
5 cloves of garlic, minced...more if you like
2 inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced thin
2 T hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
100mL Chinese cooking wine  (I didn't have sherry.....close enough)
2 Tbsp plum sauce  (plums are not available here yet so I substituted for the 4 plums)
100 mL water (I added this to satisfy the recommendations for minimum liquid level)

4 onion greens, chopped for garnish
salt and pepper if needed (I found the soy added all the salt I needed)

Dry off the roast with paper towel and rub with 5 spice powder.  Heat 2 Tbsp oil in the pressure cooker pan over medium high heat and brown roast on all sides.  Remove roast to side plate and add all remaining ingredient except for the onion greens.  Stir the liquid to deglaze the pan and put the roast back into the pot.  Put on the lid and lock it down and turn up the heat to high.  Once at high pressure lower the heat to medium to maintain high (15 lbs) pressure and cook for 40 minutes.  (The recipe called for 35 minutes but I added 5 since I am at a higher elevation)  At the end of 40 minutes remove from heat and allow pot to depressurize naturally.  Once depressurized, open the lid and remove the lid and remove the roast to a side plate loosely covered in foil.  Turn up the heat on the remaining sauce and boil for about 5 minutes to reduce the sauce to a thickness you like.  Return meat to sauce...or cut up the roast and place on a platter and spoon sauce over.  Garnish with chopped onion greens and salt and pepper if desired.



No comments: