Thursday, May 22, 2014

Huckleberry Lemon Sweet Rolls

I've got a large amount of huckleberries put away in the freezer from last summer that need to get used up, and I wanted to make a breakfast roll similar to a cinnamon roll....but with fruit filling instead.  I found a few different options but liked the combination of lemon and blueberry over at Pioneer Woman,  I used my regular recipe for dough, for air buns, which I like and it is half the quantity (only 4 cups of flour) which was a better size for me......and made the filling from Pioneer Woman using huckleberries instead of blueberries because that's what I had.  Love these...maybe even better than cinnamon buns:

Huckleberry Lemon Sweet Rolls

Dough
1 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup lard or shortening, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vinegar
4 cups flour
2 tsp instant yeast

Because I'm lazy....I make the dough in my bread machine:)  You may do it by hand if you are so inclined.  But for the bread machine....dump all ingredients in and hit the dough cycle and let it do the work for you.

Prepare the Filling,
(from the Pioneer Woman)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
zest from one lemon
1 1/4 cup huckleberries

Frosting
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Zest from one lemon
1/1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup of milk, approximately
pinch of salt
1 1/2 TBSP butter, melted

Once the dough is ready.  Roll it out to a 10 inch by 30 inch rectangle.  Spread with the softened butter from the Filling ingredients, then sprinkle with the sugar in which the lemon zest has been mixed.  Top with evenly sprinkled berries, and roll tightly to make a 30 inch long roll and pinch dough to seal it closed.  With a sharp knife slice into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay cut side down into buttered pans. Allow to rise for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.   Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden on top.  Remove from oven.  Prepare glaze by whisking all glaze ingredients together and pour evenly over rolls.




No comments: