Friday, September 23, 2011

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

A few weekends ago, my trip to the farmer's market which had my family crazy for Bannock.......prompted me to buy a huge zucchini.  There are lots of things I like to make with zucchini, and I had not made a zucchini chocolate cake in a few years.  So I grated up my jumbo zucchini and froze it in 2 cup amounts....ready to make Zucchini Chocolate Cake or a delicious Zucchini Loaf......It is difficult to choose which one I like the best.  I might just have to make the Zucchini Loaf again to see if I can decide:)  What do you like to make with Zucchini???  A large zucchini such as this one is better suited to baking with rather than grilling or making fritters which is what I would do with smaller, more tender zucchini.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
2 cup grated zucchini, grated on the small holes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350F and grease a bunt ring pan.  Combine and sift dry ingredients together and set aside.  Cream together the butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla and zucchini. Mix in 1/3 dry ingredients, then 1/2 milk alternately ending with the addition of the last of the dry ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.  Pour batter into pan and bake until cake tester comes out clean....about 50 minutes.  Sprinkle with a bit of icing sugar and enjoy.

No comments: