Sunday, September 18, 2011

Repurposed Sweater Project #1- Felted Fish for Kitty

I have a little collection of wool sweaters which I gathered through thrift store shopping over the past year or so.  I've got a number of small projects in my head that will use up my sweater stash and this was my first easy and quick little project to get it started.  Since I had the sewing machine out to work on my fitted sheet for the 3/4 bed....I thought I'd better also tackle this small project as well.  It took only 20 minutes to complete.  I did not even take the time to make a pattern piece for this.....I just started cutting out the shape of a fish with a folded piece of sweater fabric.  The fold is at the tail end.  
Then I stitched around the shape, (wrong sides together) leaving a 1 1/2 inch opening to turn it.  I chose to make it wrong sides together so that the purl side of the knit would be on the outside when finished.  After turning the fishy purl side out........I filled a little scrap of fabric (from my sheet project) with cat nip and stuffed it inside the little fishy.  
I then made two french knots with 6 strands of embroidery thread for eyes and secured the thread inside onto the catnip bag.  I then closed the opening and secured the thread.  All ready for kitty....

6 comments:

East Valley Girl said...

Adorable! I love projects like these that don't require any extra effort other than sitting down and getting them done. Kitties and pups like them too!
I've found that my dog's favorite toys are just fleece strips tied or braided together.

LittleRed said...

I'm with you on the quick and easy projects.....longer ones tend to get shelved and forgotten for weeks or months here:) Thanks for your comment!

val said...

I love projects like these....so cute!

LittleRed said...

thanks Val.....she is still playing with it so that's a good sign:)

helenplusthree said...

That's a very cute idea.

Helen

LittleRed said...

Thanks Helen:)