Monday, August 29, 2011

Saskatoon Rhubarb Pie

Another pie......now that is very strange for me.  I probably only make a few pies each year........I'm just not a big fan of pies I guess.  And when it comes to berry pies, for which I have painstakingly picked and cleaned all the berries myself......I am a bit reluctant to experiment with all my hard work.  This recipe appealed to me because it has some of the Saskatoons replaced by a bit of rhubarb.....which is very easy picking.  The thought behind this inclusion is that Sakatoons are often a bit dry while rhubarb adds quite a bit of moisture to the filling.  I was really quite happy with the end result which was indeed moist and still allowed the Saskatoons to be the predominant flavour.  I find Saskatoon Pie to be a bit on the sweet side of things too so the rhubarb added a little punch of tartness which I love.  The filling held together beautifully as you can see.....although this time I baked the pie at night and waited until morning to take the first slice.  Pie for breakfast.  Personally I think eating baking for breakfast is just gross, but I REALLY wanted to try this pie before I headed out for a little business trip. 
While I cannot endorse eating sweets like this for breakfast.......it was a pretty darned good pie.  If you find yourself with an over abundance of Saskatoons and Rhubarb......You might like to try this:)
Saskatoon Rhubarb Pie
for a 9 inch pie
your favourite double crust pie shell
1 1/2 cups rhubarb
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups Saskatoons
Preheat oven to 400F
Mix rhubarb with first amount of sugar and microwave to warm enough to allow the juices to release from the rhubarb.  Drain and collect this rhubarb juice and add enough cold water to it to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
Put the 1 1/2 cups of liquid into a pot and dissolve the cornstarch into it.  Add in the lemon juice, remaining sugar, and rhubarb (that you had drained the liquid from) and stir over medium heat unitl bubbling.  Once it begins to bubble add half of the saskatoon berries and gently bubble for 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the remaining saskatoons.  Set aside while you roll your pastry.
Roll pastry and line a 9 inch pie plate with bottom crust.  Pierce pie shell all over with a fork.  Roll top pie crust and set aside.  Pour filling into bottom shell and top with prepared top pastry.  Seal and brush top with egg wash.  Bake for 15 minutes at 400F and reduce heat to 350F and bake a further 20-30 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.  Make sure to wait until the pie is cool before cutting into it!

No comments: