Saturday, August 27, 2011

Huckleberry Pie

If you had been at my house last week....you might have had a nice piece of Huckleberry Pie.  I did not grow up picking huckleberries, and in fact until I met my DH, I was blissfully unaware of their existence.   See a picture of the little devils at the bottom of this post.  After living in Northern British Columbia for 13 years I accidentally discovered the seething underbelly world of Huckleberry picking.  Berry pickers are a curious lot who covet their knowledge of the mother load location and keep it a closely guarded secret right up to their death bed.  So I'm not kidding about the accidentally part.  After three years of a bit of trial and error......I think I have the time and places nailed down. Next year I am totally ready for you!  
If you find yourself in need of a Huckleberry Pie......This recipe turned out beautifully.  It's nice to settle down after an afternoon of braving black bears and large mosquitoes ...................to a nice pie of Huckleberry Pie!
Huckleberry Pie

one double crust pie shell pastry for 9 inch pie
4 1/2 cups huckleberries
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
2 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 T butter
2 T cream
2 tsp sugar
Preheat oven to 425F.
Line 9 inch pie plate with pie dough.  Combine and mix berries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, salt, & cinnamon.  Dump into pie shell, dot with butter and top with top pastry.  Crimp edges of pie dough, slit top and brush with cream and sprinkle with 2 tsp of sugar.  Bake in 425 F oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350F and bake a further 20 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling.  (Protect edges of pie crust with foil if they are browning too quickly)  It is most important to let the pie cool completely before slicing or the filling will run!  It's true.....I tested the theory and I won't be doing that again:)


No comments: