Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Blustery Day and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today has been damp and rainy.  This is weather that can get you down if you encounter too much of it.  For me, that has never happened.  I love the rain.  I love long handled umbrellas with pretty patterns and rain boots to match.  I like to walk in the rain, run in it (if it's a light rain), and I like to sit and watch it through my drippy window while I drink some tea or flip through a book.  (We're drinking Stash's Vanilla Nut Cream Decaf today...yummy) Despite the dampness, I managed to run into town to run a few errands and stop in at a thrift shop I like to support.  I also managed to find a few interesting or useful things.............. and I am supporting a very worthy charity to boot.
I have a few round pudding basins made by Green in my cupboard so this large oval pie dish caught my eye.  After a few moments of deciding if I really needed it........I decided that I didn't really NEED it, but I sure wanted it and it was only $2.50.....so now it is mine.  Now I just have to find out what type of recipe it is meant for.  Feel free to enlighten me if you know.  I'm imagining a pork pie or a shepard's pie???  It is quite large and deep and will hold about 1 liter in volume (4 cups).  I also found some size 3 crochet thread to make some more pot holders, and these vintage needle gauges.......all good stuff. Well I'm off a bit later to a PAC meeting at the school and need to get on with the baking of these yummy chocolate chip cookies.  
They are our favourite recipe as they are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, and jam packed with chocolate chips.  You can find the recipe for them below if you'd like to try them.  Happy Spring or Fall as the case may be:)
Our Favourite Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 egg, large
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses, egg, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Mix in well.  Stir in flour until incorporated, then mix in the chocolate chips until they are distributed evenly.  Chill dough 30 minutes.  Drop by teaspoonful onto a nonstick cookie sheet.  Bake 375F just until edged begin to be golden brown.  This should take about 7 minutes.  To make chocolate chocolate chippers......add 1/3 cup cocoa powder and decrease the flour by 1/4 cup.

No comments: