Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pancakes for Breakfast


It's the weekend after a bit of an absence here, so there is bunches of stuff to catch up on....not the least of which is house work:( I make an effort, on the weekends, to make a proper breakfast for Ike (and by that I mean not just a bowl of cold cereal) who has been recently hungry all the time. Today it's IHOP style pancakes. These are one of the best "American Style" pancakes I've made. I think I've mentioned before, American style pancakes are not my favourite, but if fluffy American Style pancakes are what you are looking for, this is a pretty good recipe. The original recipe called for buttermilk for which I substituted milk and 1tsp of vinegar.  So leave out the vinegar and put in 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk for the very best results.  Now I always use milk kefir in place of the buttermilk as I always have it on hand.  You can quite easily substitute one quarter of the flour with whole wheat flour and reduce the amount of sugar called for in the recipe, but it will not be exactly the same, but still good. I usually serve these with bacon, ham or sausage and fried apples, and maple syrup. My personal favourite is to have them with fruit syrup. I think I have some choke cherry in my fridge still.....mmmmm. If you have a chance....give them a try!

No comments: