Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making a Better Mousetrap


I was sitting and flipping through my Edmonds Cookery Book wondering what might next be of interest for me to try......when the recipe for mousetraps caught my eye.  I have heard of these......but had no real  clue what they were about.  The recipe called for chutney, of which I had none.......Hmmm....but I did still have 10 pounds of  apples left to do something with....A few more pages flipped and there was the recipe I was looking for.  So......I actually made a chutney recipe just so I'd have a jar to try the recipe for mouse traps.  The chutney recipe was nice though, and made quite a few jars.  Maybe enough to share with the neighbours or for Christmas giving.  More on the mouse traps later......
Edmonds Fruit Chutney
2 kg apples peeled, cored and chopped
500g onion diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups raisins
4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice or cloves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups (or there abouts) Malt vinegar

Put apples, onions,  garlic,raisins, sugar, salt, and spices into a large pot.  Add enough vinegar to not cover but leave some fruit above the vinegar.  Cook at a simmer for about two hours, frequently stirring to achieve the consistency of a jam. Bottle and seal.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Mousetraps...some sort of spread on bread, with cheese added and sometimes topped with bacon or tomato and baked in the oven. (bread can be toasted and the cheese grilled) The spread can be chutney, relish, Marmite (Vegemite) and even pesto or tapenade sometimes. I grew up with it being tomato relish. Still my favourite weekend lunch, thick white, yes I confess white bread, with spicey tomato relish and cheese. I hope you get to enjoy soon!

Arjun said...

Very nice food ....i think it's tasty food...
good...i will try...it

LittleRed said...

Thanks for the info Suzy! I have really liked them! Wow...bacon would only make it better now wouldn't it??

Thanks for stopping by Arjun:)