Ever since Ike as been old enough.....I have encouraged him to choose his Halloween costume, and I do my best to make something fitting his description and also something warm enough for the weather. This year we were fortunate to have an absolutely beautiful Halloween night. This worked out well for me since this is the first Halloween costume I've made for him that is not made out of polar fleece.
Ike decided that he wanted to be a wizard for Halloween and I must admit that it took me a little while to clue in as to what he might think a wizard costume might look like compared with what I might come up with. After a week of mulling over ideas in my head....it dawned on me that Ike's only 'experience' with wizards would be the Harry Potter movies. Good thing I asked......because what he really wanted was a Hogwarts Student costume. Vastly different than the shiny blue Merlin concoction that was brewing in my imagination.
This costume was really a fun one to make and is the first costume that I have bothered to buy a pattern to start with. I purchased the McCalls 5952 pattern and found it to be extremely simple, a nice first time pattern with only 4 pieces. I modified it only slightly, taking 10 inches off the depth of the sleeve at the wrist, also making the back of the hood more 'pointy' and adding a wand pocket on the inside left side. I lined the hood with a wine coloured fabric similar to the Gryffindor colours from the later movies and ordered a Hogwarts crest from Ebay. I found instructions here on making a Chinese Button Frog closure to close the front of the robe. I planned to remove the ties at the neck, but Ike decided he wanted to keep them as well. Thinking ahead to next year, I made the robe a little on the long side. The rest of the costume came together from thrift store finds and from our closet. A mans medium grey V necked camel hair sweater to felt down to size, a boys white dress shirt, a tie of burgundy and gold, and black pants finished off the outfit. Two hot wash cycles with a few pairs of jeans, followed by a trip through the dryer made the mans medium camel hair sweater a little warmer and........just the right size!
Time permitting I decided to think about a Gryffindor scarf and DH thought about the wand. The scarf took a bit of time fussing with the knitting machine to produce it and DH did the most marvelous job on the wand. I think the whole wand construction took only 1/2 hour and cost $5 in parts, with parts to spare to make another. It is constructed with an eleven inch section of oak dowel, a wooden handle for a pail, and a wooden ball. DH drilled out the center hole of the pail handle and wooden ball using the drill press, to match the diameter of the dowel. The dowel runs through the pail handle and into the wooden ball and is all glued together. He also tapered the dowel slightly with sand paper on his drill press. He then stained the working end of the wand and shellacked the handle end, lastly covering all in four coats of spray varnish. I think Ike is likely to get a lot of use out of this one:) After printing out the list of Harry Potter Spells from the internet......there was a lot of practicing!