Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Years

Wow another new year is upon us again, and hard to believe we are well into the 2000's now! New Years here has always been a fairly quiet event for us, especially since he had Ike. This year will mark the third year we have been invited over to the neighbours for appetizers and I am looking forward to a relaxing evening. There have been lots of things going on here and some changes yet to take place so I am really REALLY looking forward to the chance to sit and chat with the neighbours a bit. The diet can start tomorrow.



I think they (the neighbours) all know what I will likely bring so I don't think I will surprise them either. These are my two favourite standby, really quick appetizers... And they are Bacon and Waterchestnut Rollups and Hot Chicken Wing Dip. The Bacon Rollups are always popular....well come on...who doesn't like bacon right? Well I've never met a smoked pig I didn't like.....and I think I'm pretty normal?? Some of you might argue.....I know...I know! And the Hot Wing Dip is something I tried at a lady's home down in Atlanta and is usually popular with the guys. It's just the perfect thing to make for a Superbowl party or some other manly type event. But since I like hot and spicy, it's right up my alley too:)





Bacon & Waterchestnut Rollups

1cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 small cans whole water chestnuts
2 lbs bacon

Cut bacon strips in half and cut water chestnuts in half. I usually count the number of half strips of bacon and cut enough waterchestnuts in half so the numbers of each are the same. Roll chestnut pieces in bacon and secure with wooden toothpick through the chestnut. Place the rollups on a rack on a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for about 1/2 hour or until the bacon is almost crisp. Mix all sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat. Once rollups are cooked, drain on paper towel and move to a covered casserole dish and pour heated sauce over. Heat in 325F oven for 1/2hour with the cover on. Can be reheated the next day.





Buffalo Chicken Dip


4 boneless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
1 (12 ounce) bottle Frank's Hot Sauce
2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
1 (16 ounce) bottle blue cheese salad dressing (or ranch)
8 ounce shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or a combination

In a large saucepan, boil the chicken in water until cooked through (about 15 minutes), drain and shred with two forks. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a 13X9 inch baking pan, combine the shredded chicken meat with the hot sauce, spreading to form an even layer. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream cheese and blue cheese dressing, stirring until smooth and hot. Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with taco or corn chips.


I have used left over chicken meat from roasted chickens for this if I have some around and I have also cooked chicken breast in the oven rather than using the method above. Today I used left over turkey breast from the Christmas turkey dinner and it was great too.




No comments: