Thursday, June 9, 2011

Small Projects and Spice Cake

I've been keeping busy with yard work, work work, house work.....there just seems to be so much darned work to do!  Maybe that's why I like small projects to work on.......I've caught up on all of my swaps and got them in the post just in time (I think) before Canada Post began rotating strikes.  I think I will have a little break in swapping until the postal situation is sorted out.  Above is the little project I last sent out.  Go here for instructions to make your own.  It's very simple, quick, and I think pretty cute too. 
Right now, this is what's growing in my garden, and I'm looking for a good recipe to use it up in.  Let me know if you have a favourite rhubarb recipe that you think I should try.  In the mean time, I did try a nice recipe from a Hutterite Cook Book for Spice Cake which I was pretty happy with.  I think it would do very well with the addition of walnuts......but was perfectly delicious without them as well.  It was nicely spiced and got two thumbs up from my son Ike as well!
Sour Cream Spice Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or shortening
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp rum flavouring
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup raisins
Beat together the sugar, shortening, egg and sour cream.  Add in vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients and add gradually to creamed mixture.  Beat well.  Toss raisins with a little flour to coat them and fold them into the batter.  Spread batter (which is fairly thick) into a 9 inch square cake pan.  Bake in preheated 350F oven for 35-45 minutes until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in center of cake.  Remove cake from oven to cooling rack and frost once cool with desired icing.  I used 1/2 of the recipe below to frost this cake, but a cream cheese icing might also be nice.......I just felt like something a little sweeter this time.

Rum Butter Cream Icing
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
4 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp rum flavouring
Cream shortening and butter until fluffy.  Add remaining ingredients and blend on low speed.  Beat on high speed until fluffy.

2 comments:

Gail said...

I'm having the same problem...tons of Rhubarb and oh what to do with it all. I was thinking Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam...and maybe a coffee cake.

LittleRed said...

I love rhubarb, and I have never made a rhubarb custard pie with meringue topping.....I'm torn between that and a recipe I found for a sour cream rhubarb pie......I'm going to try one of them today:) I hope you are enjoying your weekend!