The fall fair has come and gone and Ike again wanted to participate with an entry or two. We have enjoyed the Reid Lake fall fair for three years running now and Ike was looking forward to entering a little more that his usual drop cookie entry. This year we chose to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. We have tried a different drop cookie recipe each year so far. I'm not certain if that is the best tactic as we started with our very favourite recipe and have been working our way down the list. Ike was beat out this year by a Chocolate Haystack cookie and came in a close second. Still enough for a nice ribbon and he was pretty happy with it! I had no idea they would allow unbaked cookies in the baking category........well this opens up a whole new world of options now doesn't it. Although.................I'd feel a bit uneasy for the judges tasting uncooked cookies prepared by 'hopefully clean' under 10 year old hands.
This year Ike wanted to put in some extra entries but unfortunately only decided to follow through on this plan the day that the items needed to be delivered to the fair. He did manage to pull together a total of 6 quick entries and his 5 ribbon points total was enough for him to place third in the aggregate points total for his age category. So he got another fancy ribbon and was allowed to choose a prize from the prize table and got some mini putt and drive in theatre passes as well. It was a pretty good time for Ike and he is now driven to place first in the aggregate points total next year. We'll soon see how long this enthusiasm holds out.
Unfortunately a lot of the categories in the fair exhibits tended to be overtly girl oriented so we did our best to pick those options that would be least offensive to his brutish manliness. Some concessions had to be made though due to time constraints and a quick internet craft search and my easy access to copious amount of buttons lead to this very quick and very easy 1st place finishing craft. While I did not have the proper pin back or the glue called for in the 'recipe'....we made do with some duct tape, a safety pin, and my all time favourite '5 minute epoxy glue'.....with only moments to spare. Soon we will replace the make shift back pin with a proper pin back. I was a little worried about having Ike work with the epoxy but it actually gave him lots of time to move things around before it set up. I liked the resulting pin so much I've been mulling over my buttons looking for the perfect assortment for the next brooch.