Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hot Weather Cooking


It has been unseasonably hot here for the last few days. The outside temperature at noon was 26 C and with an anticipated high of 30C. With that in mind what's for supper is probably going to be on the BBQ outside. This kind of weather always makes me think of making macaroni salad, jello, potato salad, devilled eggs, or ice cream. Since I had promised some baking to some friends, my oven in unfortunately on with carrot muffins baking in it right now. With the hot weather, it will be nice to have some muffins to snack on too;)

My fridge has a yummy green jello salad firming up in it right now. That is something I'm looking forward to having with my supper. If you'd like to try a light fluffy lime and pineapple flavoured jello salad this might just do the trick for you. I didn't bother putting it into a mould, as I am not serving to guests. It's quick (if you don't find you are out of mayo and have to make some) and easy and quite nice on a hot hot day like today. I don't think there will be any trouble dealing with left overs on this one. Usually the nuts are chopped and folded in with all the other ingredients, but with two other nut picky people in the house, I opted to just put some on top just for me.
This recipe comes from a little Christmas recipe book put together in 1982 by St. Augustine's Church in Baird Ontario. This cute as a button little church has been around for a long time and is the church that my father's family (the Bissons) attended for many years.......go ahead click on the link above and read a bit about it. I have made a few of the recipes from this little book but am now tempted to try perhaps just a few more:)




Pacific Lime Mould

1 85g (3oz) package of lime jello
1 cup crushed pineapple (drain and reserve juice)
1 cup creamed cottage cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

Drain the pineapple. Dissolve jello in boiling water and add reserved pineapple juice. Chill this until slightly thickened in the fridge. Remove and beat until frothy. Fold in all remaining ingredients. Chill until served.

2 comments:

Zion Girl said...

This salad is almost a "staple" for us here in Utah.....It is the best. I guess you could say it is like the state flag but it's the state "salad"..
Giggles - Brooke

LittleRed said...

I love this salad, but I don't know anyone else here who makes it! Good to know others like it too:)